Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Just Take One Step at a Time

Renovating Regent St. is overwhelming (if you haven't already noticed!)  Not only have we taken on a complete gut job in the main house but we're on the clock to get the apartment finished by this weekend when our renter moves in and STILL packing up Featherfoil (can't I pay someone to finish that up??)  All of this and we are still trying to squeeze in time for the everyday household chores; laundry, putting clothes away (my achilles heel), dust, grocery shop, vaccuum...you see where I'm going!  Oh, and did I mention we have Irish Twins who demand (and righfully so,) our full attention?  You just have to involve them and make a game of even the smallest of mundane projects.  For instance, I started a game with the girls called, Find My Match.  A matching socks game where I am always the winner :-)  Bonus, they love it!!

Somedays I don't know where to start so I began to think...if i put something down in writing it then becomes real and I'm forced to own up to it.  Truth be told I don't even know where to start; where do I begin the organizing, putting up pictures, decorating every room, finish painting, UGH!  Then I heard my mom's voice in my head, "just take one step at a time," or in my renovating world, take one room at a time.  So that's the plan and I'm starting tonight.  Maddie's room is getting tackled first.  It's the smallest room in the house (besides the bathroom's of course) so I'm hoping and praying it's the least overwhelming.  I'm a HUGE proponent of lists (I <3 lists - checking things off is so theraputic!)  Below is my my list of things I want to accomplish in Maddie's room.  Not in any particular order because I'll obviously go for the easiest first!

1)  Organize Closet
  a)  purchase and install closet door
  b)  finish molding around closet door
  c)  install shelving/drawers

2)  Finish painting
  a)  bedroom door
  b)  window moldings

3)  Organize/purge/merge dresser drawers

4)  Decorate top of dresser

5)  purchase bedside table

6)  create (albeit very small) play area

WOW - I already feel better

No comments:

Post a Comment